Will this rollercoaster kill me?
April 2, 2012 6:39 AM   Subscribe

Last year, I was diagnosed with having minor left ventricular hypertrophy. After a series of ECGs and an echocardiogram, my doctors decided that my heart function was basically normal and no treatment was required. I haven't really followed this up because I'm a bit frightened of doctors and I'm not registered with a GP. I'm about to go to a theme park. I know you're not my doctor - but am I likely to die if I go on a few rollercoasters? I'm a 26 year old male, BMI about 23, otherwise healthy. Thanks.
posted by Ted Maul to Health & Fitness (9 answers total)
The only person who can answer this is your cardiologist. If you can't get to yours before your theme park trip then don't risk it.
posted by PorcineWithMe at 6:55 AM on April 2, 2012

Wow. I'm certainly not qualified to offer any opinion on your chances of death-by-rollercoaster, but you could register with a GP and ask them? If you're in London, then this is really really easy. Just phone a GP who covers your home address and ask to register. They'll want to take your blood pressure and weight, but you should be able to get a GP's appointment within a few days, for free. Of course, I don't know anything about your fear of doctors, but you can always never go again after this one meeting? I suppose you'll need to weigh up your fear of doctors with your fear of death-by-rollercoaster. gl
posted by richb at 6:56 AM on April 2, 2012

Unfortunately, I've left it a little late. I'm flying out on Friday and I've got a super-busy schedule until then. I should have thought about this sooner - but honestly, day to day I just tend to forget about the diagnosis. It has no bearing on my life whatsoever most of the time.

(This is probably the same youthful arrogance which has stopped me from registering with a GP in the first place)

Anyway, I was just wondering if LVH is the sort of thing that can explode and kill you if you go on a thrill ride. My doctors didn't warn me off exercise or caffeine or anything like that. Perhaps it's a naive question and I should just play it safe - but this will be my first holiday in several years and I'd really like to make the most of it!

Will stop threadsitting now. Thanks again.
posted by Ted Maul at 7:01 AM on April 2, 2012

Oh, perhaps I should just add that my blood pressure was normal, if that has any bearing on the situation.
posted by Ted Maul at 7:03 AM on April 2, 2012

The probability that someone is going to come into this thread and tell you you're fine approaches one, but please don't listen to them. They will not be a cardiologist, who would only give you such a recommendation after actually looking at those tests. You will only be hearing from some idiot on the internet who is willing to give you medical advice based on information that only has a passing resemblance to a real patient history.

You need to find a GP to help you manage your health, we can't really help you.
posted by Blasdelb at 7:04 AM on April 2, 2012 [2 favorites]

You can try calling NHS Direct on the phone.
posted by vacapinta at 7:08 AM on April 2, 2012 [3 favorites]

Iatrophobia, the googlable term for a fear of doctors, is a serious condition in its own right and is very much worth treating. There are mental health professionals who specialize in treating it who may be able to help you.
posted by Blasdelb at 7:12 AM on April 2, 2012

After a series of ECGs and an echocardiogram, my doctors decided that my heart function was basically normal and no treatment was required. [...] My doctors didn't warn me off exercise or caffeine or anything like that.

You have seen a doctor and this was their professional opinion. Why are you willing to trust the uninformed opinions of laypeople on the internet and not that of your doctor?
posted by jesourie at 1:14 PM on April 2, 2012

NHS direct is great for things like this - they're very good at sorting out problems from non-problems. However, they may well tell you to see a doctor.

But seriously, man, register with a GP already. It's not hard, and it will save you a lot of grief further down the line. I saw from your profile where you are located and believe me, you do not want to end up going to Whitechapel A&E for a potentially GP-able problem. You do not. It would be much, much scarier than a GP. Why don't you drop by some of your local practices to see what they're like? Mine is based in a community centre and is very unthreatening and full of cardboard robots and kind people. I would totally be recommending it to you if you were a short way down the road. You'll find somewhere else nice, though.
posted by Acheman at 7:02 AM on April 3, 2012

« Older Did a plane have me in its headlights?   |   Galveston Beach Bums Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.