What do you call this thing?
March 13, 2012 12:13 PM   Subscribe

What is the name for this type of snap/closure?

It is shaped like a question mark, with a spring loaded "mouth." You can use your thumb to push down a little trigger and open the "mouth" of the question mark to latch it on to something. When you release the spring it closes up again. Usually these are found on purses/cross-body bags to connect the straps to the body of the bag. The question mark part usually has a u-ring type base. What the heck is it called so I can ask for it by name/find one to buy online?
posted by Katine to Grab Bag (13 answers total)
Hmmm. There's a large version used on yacht sails called a "piston hank" but I think that term is used exclusively in that context.
posted by yoink at 12:17 PM on March 13, 2012

Lobster clasp (at least in jewelry)
posted by Mchelly at 12:18 PM on March 13, 2012

A snap hook?
posted by bcwinters at 12:18 PM on March 13, 2012 [3 favorites]

Sounds like a brass swivel eye snap.
posted by jquinby at 12:18 PM on March 13, 2012 [1 favorite]

I agree that you're looking for a type of snap hook, sometimes specifically called a bolt snap hook, but the different types of snap hooks don't always have different names.
posted by brainmouse at 12:21 PM on March 13, 2012

Like a carabiner?
posted by Rock Steady at 12:22 PM on March 13, 2012

And a swivel bolt snap has a swiveling base, but again, the name is inconsistently used.
posted by brainmouse at 12:22 PM on March 13, 2012

A carabiner? There are a few different shapes.
posted by brentajones at 12:23 PM on March 13, 2012

I think jquinby has it. A carabiner is more of a "C" with a spring latch across the opening.
posted by bondcliff at 12:25 PM on March 13, 2012

These folks call it an anchor clip. Scroll down for purse diagram.
posted by MonkeyToes at 12:28 PM on March 13, 2012

Lobster Clasp?
posted by humboldt32 at 12:35 PM on March 13, 2012

Depending on whether the trigger rotates or slides, I'd call it a trigger snap (same as the "lobster clasp") or slide-bolt snap (like you see on a dog's leash).
posted by adamrice at 12:49 PM on March 13, 2012

Thank you! It's a snap hook. So simple!
posted by Katine at 12:51 PM on March 13, 2012

« Older Circus peanuts in Ottawa?   |   Deployment 101 Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.