Help me bake cookies in a pot
February 17, 2012 8:29 PM   Subscribe

For baking cookies in a pot on the stove-top, apparently some kind of spacer like this is needed. What is it called, and where can I get one?

This AskMeFi answer has my mouth watering for some fresh-baked homemade cookies. I need something to keep the baking sheet up, off the bottom of the pot, so the cookie bottoms won't burn. What do you recommend? I'm thinking an actual cookery type thing, more than lug nuts or empty tin cans. (Google isn't much help here, as queries for "pot baking" result in recipes for cannibis brownies!)
posted by exphysicist345 to Food & Drink (5 answers total)
Best answer: It's called a steam rack and you can get them at all kinds of cooking equipment stores.
posted by Miko at 8:35 PM on February 17, 2012

Reminds me of the type of thing used for double boilers. Try this?
posted by erstwhile at 8:38 PM on February 17, 2012

The two racks pictured in your link come standard with many different brands of round, glass countertop convection ovens, such as this one (in the picture, you can see the larger rack in your link turned upside down).

You need a baking trivet, such as this one designed for dutch ovens.

A heat diffuser designed to allow the use of glass coffee pots on electric burners will work at least as well, and you could bend a satisfactory one of those out of a stainless steel spoke (after clipping off the part that goes in the hub).
posted by jamjam at 9:40 PM on February 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

I've seen one made with crumpled up aluminum foil.
posted by dawkins_7 at 1:41 AM on February 18, 2012

You could also look for a canning rack, which is used to keep jars off the bottom of a stock pot when water-bath or pressure canning. I use a round cake cooling rack that fits inside my biggest pot.

I've also used the metal bands from canning lid assemblies to elevate jars, if you have any of those around.
posted by mgar at 11:24 AM on February 19, 2012

« Older Beeeeep. Beeeeep. Beeeep.   |   Herbs/supplements for academic writing? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.