February 15, 2012 2:02 PM   Subscribe

18-c. German filter. Pagodenkopf anyone?

I can't believe that I have to ask this but I'm totally at a loss. In some late 18th-century German text we're trying to understand someone "wackelt seinen (or: wie ein...) Pagodenkopf".
He wiggles like a pagoda-head?

Any one out there having experience with any of these (18th-c. german quirks, or pagoda heads)?

posted by Namlit to Writing & Language (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
His pagoda head- I'd imagine a double chin and maybe goofy hair, such as to resemble a pagoda. Is it a middle aged character in a bureaucratic function?
posted by dhoe at 2:29 PM on February 15, 2012

Best answer: Later than 18th century, but nodding "pagoda" figures were a popular type of figurine made in Germany in the mid-late 19th century.

(I knew watching Bargain Hunt would come in handy one day!)
posted by Pinback at 2:34 PM on February 15, 2012 [2 favorites]

I was going to come in with a guess about tall wigs, but those bobblehead figurines look much more likely.
posted by Pallas Athena at 2:43 PM on February 15, 2012

Response by poster: Wow, you nailed it Pinback. I now searched for Meissener Pagode, and found one from the late 18th century. Had no idea! Thanks.
posted by Namlit at 4:07 PM on February 15, 2012

« Older How do I get a "grown up" or "real" job?   |   Just say No to Oriental Trading Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.