Coffee stir-sticks
December 21, 2011 2:46 AM   Subscribe

Is the wide end of a disposable coffee-stirrer meant for holding or stirring?

I know it's chatty, but I am curious and cursory google searches don't turn up much. I know I am not the only one who is confused by these things. The wide end looks kind of like a handle, but it could also be a mini-spoon.

I only started to notice these non-symmetrical stirsticks a few years ago and I have never really understood them. Here is a google image if you don't know what I am talking about.
posted by molecicco to Food & Drink (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: Paddle end is for stirring. The slots create turbulence in the coffee without splashing. The also prevent it from being used as a coke spoon.
posted by three blind mice at 2:57 AM on December 21, 2011 [10 favorites]

Sometimes the pads end is a little logo or a shaped like the company seal or something. That's for holding.
posted by SLC Mom at 12:58 PM on December 21, 2011

« Older Japan to Singapore travel help?   |   What is this symbol? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.