What sound is this?
August 23, 2011 10:00 AM   Subscribe

What is the percussion used in this performance by Vox Vulgaris?

At about one minute into this youtube track, there is clattery percussion kind of like a handful of spoons or a bunch of disks like on a tambourine, but what percussion instrument is this?
posted by Listener to Media & Arts (5 answers total)
That sounds like a combination of various percussion instruments.
posted by longsleeves at 10:09 AM on August 23, 2011

Sounds like maybe they're using drum brushes. (Not a drum expert, but my brother played them growing up so unfortunately I'm more familiar with the various sounds they make than I ever wanted to be.)
posted by phunniemee at 10:20 AM on August 23, 2011

Best answer: It's definitely something shaken, metallic. It's some sort of shaken bell/jingle, not unlike jingle bells, but of a different shape/material that produces a different tone.

There are dozens of different types of shaker jingler dealies.

FWIW - I have a music degree and my primary instrument is/was percussion.
posted by thatguyjeff at 10:45 AM on August 23, 2011

Best answer: It sounds like they are tambourines to me. Several at least, of different pitches and timbres. Also, it sounds like they are both shaking them and tapping them.

If you set a tambourine on a cloth covered surface (to avoid clicking on a hard table) you can just tap lightly on the rim with fingers to get a nice short crisp sound.

It's difficult to hear until about 1:17 when they quiet down. When they do, you can hear distinct crisp 16th note patterns: tikkatikkatik tikkatikkatik.
posted by TheRedArmy at 11:14 AM on August 23, 2011

Definitely seconding tambourines and the deeper sound may just be a larger frame drum of a sort.
posted by lizarrd at 12:38 PM on August 23, 2011

« Older Locating a purchasable TouchPad   |   Stressful Day Holiday Daydream Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.