Google officially thinks I'm an idiot now that I've searched for "train tracks speed bump".
July 31, 2011 12:06 AM   Subscribe

What is this orange apparatus on the train tracks?

Found just before a switch in Seattle, SODO. It has its own operating handle(?), appeared to be painted in situ and seems otherwise permanent.
posted by halogen to Grab Bag (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: It looks like a derail.
posted by empath at 12:11 AM on July 31, 2011

Best answer: It's a derailler. It's commonly used to prevent rolling stock on a siding higher than the mainline from accidentally rolling onto the mainline. Rerailing a rogue car is much preffered to having a train hit it.
posted by Mitheral at 12:24 AM on July 31, 2011

That's a portable derailleur.
posted by BeaverTerror at 2:06 AM on July 31, 2011

Best answer: [CookieMonster] D is for Derailer, that's good enough for me. [/CookieMonster]

...But the one pictured not portable. This video has a portable derail in action.
posted by Orb2069 at 4:16 AM on July 31, 2011 [1 favorite]

Best answer: ...And if you want to see a train speed bump, those are called Torpedoes
posted by Orb2069 at 5:38 AM on July 31, 2011

« Older Mission impossible?   |   Overpaid child support, now what? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.