Procedure of paying late tax d'habitation in France?
July 10, 2011 8:53 AM   Subscribe

How do you pay delayed tax d'habitation in Paris, France?

I have been away for a long time, and having come back recently, I have realized that I have a long due tax d'habitation that I must pay, and was hoping someone here who has experienced a similar situation could help me out.

I have an additional 26 euros to pay as a fine, which makes the total of 259 euros. I payed the tax d'habitation by internet the year before, but it seems like I cannot do that anymore. The only option seems to be by cheque or going to the caisse du comptable. However the instruction says to include a TIP (titre interbancaire de paiment) with the cheque, but the original TIP that was included in the first letter does not include the fine I must pay additionally. I have gotten another letter that says "commandement de payer" which has something called an "Application RAR" which looks similar to a TIP with the right amount that I need to pay, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use that.

I should probably call tomorrow to see what I'm supposed to do, but what worries me is that I apparently got a threatening letter that says they will come seize my properties if I don't pay by the 17th of June, and that has passed already...

I'd greatly appreciate it if you have any advice, and also I'm not familiar with the "caisse du comptable" of my area. I live in Neuilly-sur-Seine just outside Paris. If you could point me to where I need to go, that would be very helpful. Thank you.
posted by snufkin5 to Law & Government (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
The best for you would be to go directly at the Service des impôts of Neuilly.
posted by elgilito at 9:34 AM on July 10, 2011

Yes, go directly to your local tax centre – phone ahead of time just to be sure of their location, which office you need to go to, and their opening hours. Sometimes there are several offices at a single location, and each office is dedicated to a different area; you don't want to waste time in the wrong line (been there, done that). It will be better than trying to pay by mail or TIP, since they'll be able to take care of anything extra in person. And they're generally more forgiving if you pay late in person. (Generally...)
posted by fraula at 10:48 AM on July 10, 2011

Response by poster: Thank you for the tip, and the link. I think I'll take your advice and go there directly tomorrow, since it's within walking distance. Generally speaking, would I be able to pay by cheque? And my french is not too great, especially in this field, so if you have any keywords or useful phrases for me to use in this situation, or to expect from others, that would be very helpful.
posted by snufkin5 at 11:24 AM on July 10, 2011

If you have an account with a French bank, then yes, certainly you should be able to pay by cheque.

Be sure to bring all the necessary paperwork with you -- all the correspondence you've received on the subject, proof of the tax d'habitation that you paid the year before by internet, your passport and/or carte de séjour, and, if possible, some kind of written proof that you were not in the country for an extended period of time.

If the huissier hasn't come a-knockin' yet, you can hope be able to settle this by explaining "j'étais à l'étranger pendant X mois et je ne reçevais pas mon courrier". Then write the cheque. Good luck.
posted by Paris Elk at 11:45 AM on July 10, 2011

Response by poster: Thank you all for your time and concern. It helped, and I was able to settle this today without any additional problem. For never know in France right? Merci beaucoup!
posted by snufkin5 at 12:35 PM on July 11, 2011

« Older Pre-paid iPhone SIM in the USA?   |   Failing to raise the debt limit Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.