Help me stop things from flying out of a storage slot in my car.
June 10, 2011 6:45 PM   Subscribe

I recently installed a new stereo in my car. It's a single DIN stereo in a double DIN slot, so I now have a storage slot right above the stereo. However, it's made of a hard, slick plastic and anytime I turn the car or brake, whatever is in there can fly out. Does anyone have any ideas for a material or something I could put in there to provide a "grippy" or rubber-type surface that won't let stuff slip out? Amazon links or widely available products would be great. Thanks in advance.
posted by jroybal to Travel & Transportation (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
What about the nubbly rubbery sheets you put under rugs so they don't slide on the floor? would help if I could tell you what they're called. But they're...y'know. Nubbly. And rubbery.
posted by mittens at 6:48 PM on June 10, 2011

posted by buggzzee23 at 6:50 PM on June 10, 2011

link to grip-it
posted by buggzzee23 at 6:50 PM on June 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

posted by COD at 6:53 PM on June 10, 2011

Get a nonslip dash mat - these things are magic!
posted by Susurration at 7:12 PM on June 10, 2011

If it's a DIN or Half-DIN space, you can get something with a door for that. Go to a car stereo store, I'm sure they'll have something.
posted by rhizome at 8:29 PM on June 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

The nubbly rubbery sheets that go under rugs or futons would work well (and you may have a corner you can trim at home). The silicon sticky dash pads work well too, but you have to clean them every so often by running water over them because dust makes them unsticky.
posted by zippy at 8:49 PM on June 10, 2011

Best answer: Old mouse pad?
posted by flabdablet at 11:25 PM on June 10, 2011 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: Thanks all. Love the mouse pad idea. I could cut it to size and double-side tape it in there. Also lots of rug mats in the house I hadn't thought of.
posted by jroybal at 12:14 PM on June 11, 2011

How about the adhesive backed traction pads that snowboarders mount between their bindings? Some are flashy and bumpy but some are just like 1/8" thick foam.
Probably be perfect, I reckon.
posted by No Shmoobles at 12:28 PM on June 11, 2011

« Older I don't want to lose our cat, but we're going to...   |   Eek, a mouse! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.