Good accountant/CPA in San Francisco with International Freelancers’ experience?
March 28, 2011 2:52 PM   Subscribe

Does anyone know of a good accountant/CPA firm in San Francisco with experience dealing with international freelancing work? I’ve done work from the Netherlands (but now live in SF) as a freelancer for U.S. companies and there’s a lot of things I’m not clear about regarding U.S. Tax law that I’d like to get properly sorted out once and for all.

While there exist a few prior AskMe threads on this, they’re pretty outdated and not focused on my exact situation as a previously-international freelancer. Would really love some up-to-date recommendations.
posted by KuraFire to Law & Government (2 answers total)
I can't recommend an accountant, and I'm not one so take this as probably useless. It seems to me that this income wouldn't be any different from other income you made which went unreported. The only exception would be if they withheld anything on their end for foreign taxes. If this was taxed as income in the Netherlands then you might qualify for a tax deduction noted in the following IRS publication. If possible you should get them to send you a 1099. be sure to ask your accountant about the foreign tax credit if there is any tax noted on their payments to you.
posted by humanfont at 5:13 PM on March 28, 2011

Best answer: You might try Harb, Levy & Weiland right near the Embarcadero BART station. They're a full-service shop so they can probably handle just about any tax question under the sun. Not cheap, though.
posted by Quietgal at 1:29 PM on March 29, 2011

« Older Help find a replacement electric motor for my...   |   Periodic symptoms Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.