Anonymous IPs?

I'm in need of several anonymous IPs. AOL DSL used to allow you to get many IPs that weren't tied to a specific region. For example, I want a way to get 20 ips that are not just : Same.Same.Same.Different Best would be : Different.Different.Different.Different, but anything in between would be ok. They must be broadband, but can be located anywhere in the world. Using a VPN to tunnel to the IPs is also fine. This sounds sketchy and illegal, but it's not. It's for my business, which has unusual requirements.
posted by cornrow to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

Actually knowing what you are using them for would seriously help... there's a reason AOL DSL doesn't do that anymore, and there's a reason IP addresses are tied to regions and specific providers' networks. It all has to do with the way the internet is built. So let us know what you're going to be using 'em for, not that we distrust you or anything, and someone could probably give you a better idea.
posted by SpecialK at 12:18 AM on April 23, 2005

Your best bet might be to buy some shell accounts from various providers (they're really cheap nowadays) and use SSH tunneling for whatever traffic you need. You probably won't be able to use ports below 1024.

What are you trying to do? What exactly are your "business requirements"?
posted by azazello at 12:42 AM on April 23, 2005

Perhaps you should read a little about what an IP address is, especially the section on Assignment, which will tell you how the different sections of the number come about. Nobody can just pick an IP address and give it to you, even if they wanted to. Companies buy ranges of addresses, then dole out subsets of those ranges to their customers. If you understand how it works, you'll be better able to solve your problem. In short, you're going to have to be transmitting from different companies often in different physical locations, or at least relaying your communication through these.
posted by odinsdream at 7:41 AM on April 23, 2005

try reading through the forums at WebhostingTalk.
posted by b1tr0t at 11:40 PM on April 23, 2005

« Older How do I transfer title on a vehicle in Chicago I...   |   Apple Airport trouble Newer »