Upscale ant farm?

Where can I purchase an upscale ant farm? I'm not talking about one of those Uncle Milton's or similar cheap, plastic varieties. I want something a little sturdier and more aesthetically pleasing. On the other hand, I don't think I want to spend more than $100.
posted by crapulent to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (6 answers total)

This is small and only $20, but I couldn't resist putting it in a comment because I'm so enamoured of it.
posted by Specklet at 11:34 AM on April 18, 2005

ThinkGeek has the Space Age Ant Habitat. It is only $20.
posted by thefinned1 at 11:50 AM on April 18, 2005

I've owned an ant farm that was similar to those. It was nice, but the ants only lived for a couple of months. That might just be the way ant farms are, though.
posted by bshort at 12:02 PM on April 18, 2005

Build your own. All they are is a container with a secure lid, right? Buy a gorgeous glass planter, fill it with sand/dirty and rig a secure top for it. Voila.
posted by agregoli at 12:21 PM on April 18, 2005

My second two cents:

There are numerous sites that can instruct you on how to build your own.

bshort, unless you have a queen, your workers will not get replaced and eventually die of old age. Incidentally, it's illegal to order/buy queens on the internet in the US. (Think unwanted spread of invasive exotics, a la Africanized honey bees.) You must steal a queen from an existing nest on your own.

thefinned1, ever click on other comments' links? Heh.
posted by Specklet at 12:38 PM on April 18, 2005

If you follow agregoli's suggestion, bury something in the middle of the planter (i.e. force the ants to tunnel in the sand closest to the glass by taking up 95% of the planter with something solid).
posted by michaelkuznet at 7:20 PM on April 18, 2005

« Older mailing to Palestine....   |   Where can I find more about the writer John... Newer »