What is it?
November 19, 2010 1:45 PM   Subscribe

What is this household item? Looks like an overengineered magazine rack.

My flatmate just brought this home from the thrift store. One stacked on top of the other. Side by side. Close-up of feet.

Made of chrome or knock-off chrome. Two pieces, but they don't seem to slot inside each other easily. Both bits have legs meant to sit on the floor, but one has ball feet and the other has plastic caps.

A bit too big for a magazine rack, not quite big enough to be an umbrella stand. And why are there two distinct pieces?
posted by dontjumplarry to Home & Garden (15 answers total)
Best answer: A buffet stand?
posted by zamboni at 1:49 PM on November 19, 2010 [1 favorite]

Serving pieces. There are dishes that fit in them that I guess you don't have.
posted by amro at 1:50 PM on November 19, 2010

seconding buffet stand ... i think?
posted by anya32 at 1:50 PM on November 19, 2010

thirding buffet stand.
posted by deezil at 1:51 PM on November 19, 2010

To me it looks like something caterers use to hold dishes and put sterno underneath to keep them warm
posted by amapolaroja at 1:51 PM on November 19, 2010

I'm going to guess that there are missing ceramic bowls for snacks that would rest in the metal frames. My grandparents used to have one kind of like this, only '50s-style.
posted by The Card Cheat at 1:52 PM on November 19, 2010

Definitely looks like something from a hotel buffet. Could also hold baskets for bread, pastries, etc.
posted by bgrebs at 1:53 PM on November 19, 2010

A buffet server, as others have said. If you can find plates or trays to fit, you're golden.
posted by Sidhedevil at 1:53 PM on November 19, 2010

Kinda like this, but with square dishes that fit inside.
posted by raisingsand at 1:54 PM on November 19, 2010

They look like Pampered Chef Rectangle Stands from a few years ago. There are lots of knockoffs and different brands. They've been around in one form or another for years. You are indeed missing the tray/plate/baskets, what usually happens is that somebody buys one of the knockoffs then the plate gets broken and they can't find a replacement or the replacement is too expensive, so they donate the stand.
posted by TooFewShoes at 1:59 PM on November 19, 2010 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Thanks Mefi!

I guess they'll definitely come in handy next time I have to cater a wedding.
posted by dontjumplarry at 2:11 PM on November 19, 2010

Towel drying stands? I know I am late to this party, but that is what they look like to me. Too big to be the serving dish thingy.
posted by AugustWest at 2:13 PM on November 19, 2010

Too big to be the serving dish thingy.

No, that's how big the ones designed for serving entrees at a party are. Think about a big pan of lasagna or similar.
posted by Sidhedevil at 2:23 PM on November 19, 2010

now that you know what they are, will you post back here when y'all figure out how you're going to use them?
posted by msconduct at 12:57 PM on November 20, 2010

Response by poster: One went in the trash and within an hour was fished out and carried off by a drug-addled lady. The other has big dreams of becoming a planter box holder!
posted by dontjumplarry at 2:04 PM on November 29, 2010

« Older All coming back to me now   |   Cure my dry mouth. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.