Identify Creepy Thread-like Fungus
July 26, 2010 3:37 PM   Subscribe

Can anyone identify this thread-like fungus? It seems to be coming from a plant in, but it migrates. I'm finding them on my couch, my desk chair (fabric covered), even on the shower curtain in the bathroom. I am prepared to toss the plant if no remedy is found but I'm more interested right now in finding out what it is... Here are photos of the home-invaders Help!
posted by Berry to Home & Garden (5 answers total)
Response by poster:
posted by Berry at 3:39 PM on July 26, 2010

the photos
posted by artifarce at 3:39 PM on July 26, 2010

Best answer: It looks sort of like the flocculent fuzz that floats around when there's a nearby infestation of spiraling whitefly. Most fungi are pretty site specific- they grow on what they can eat, and that's it.

If it's fungal, it will melt down to nothing or dry up when it's out of it's element for several hours. If it is persistent in that state, not fungus.
posted by oneirodynia at 4:01 PM on July 26, 2010 [1 favorite]

Best answer: No answers, but I just wanted to mention that fungus is notoriously difficult to identify, even in bioscience labs.
posted by halogen at 4:04 PM on July 26, 2010 [1 favorite]

Actually, yeah, now that oneirodynia mentions it, the things in the photos remind me of when we had a moth infestation in our kitchen (in Japan). For some reason I left some fruit or something on top of the refrigerator, just out of sight. We noticed threadlike filaments, then maggots, then moths.
posted by KokuRyu at 4:33 PM on July 26, 2010

« Older How can I make restaurant-style Thai iced tea?   |   Not a tea party, hopefully. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.