how can i find out about a minor UK court case?
February 27, 2005 4:33 PM   Subscribe

I'm trying to find out about a conviction for assault. The case was in the 1980s in a UK magistrates court. Would I be able to get access to the records? Would it show up on a criminal record check? The local newspaper doesn't look like a good bet. Are there other ways I could check? Thanks.
posted by Flitcraft to Law & Government (2 answers total)
If you don't find an answer here, you'll get a good one on, which is a great resource. In fact, if it were me I would just ask there, since it counts British lawyers and magistrates among its posters.
posted by grouse at 1:13 AM on February 28, 2005

Procedings in the magistrates courts are unreported.

You'll need to apply to the Criminal Records Bureau. To get a disclosure typically you'll need the consent of the person. The bureau will not have any form of contextual details, merely date, conviction etc.

You could try a Freedom of Information Act inquiry of the investigating police force but I don't fancy your chances much...
posted by dmt at 3:42 AM on February 28, 2005

« Older What's growing out of my wall?   |   Radios in tunnels Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.