Toilet Shredder
May 7, 2010 7:23 PM   Subscribe

Toilet poop shredders - my friend is convinced they exist but I have never heard of them. Is there really such a thing?

A friend recently mentioned toilet shredders that chop waste to make it pass through the pipes easily. Does such a thing really exist inside the pipe or the toilet? Google search of "toilet shredder" failed. Has anyone heard of such a thing before? If they do exist, where can I find them?
posted by Danniman to Home & Garden (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Best answer: They're called macerating toilets.
"instead of draining the flushed water down into the floor, the system transports it through a pump contained in a small box, typically located behind the toilet and against the wall. Much like a garbage disposal, the system uses a spinning “macerating” blade that liquefies the solid waste. The liquid waste is then forced through the discharge pipes by the pressure of the pump."
posted by drlith at 7:29 PM on May 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

Yes. Try macerator or ejector pump.
posted by gjc at 7:29 PM on May 7, 2010

Yes. Very popular in basement bathrooms.
posted by jdfan at 8:12 PM on May 7, 2010

If you've seen a toilet in a basement / cellar with a sign on asking you not to flush sanitary products, that's probably got the shredding system you're talking about. They are easily jammed by anything unexpected.
posted by emilyw at 1:53 AM on May 8, 2010

I just saw one of these for the first time in my life yesterday! Well, it wasn't as exciting as the exclamation point indicates. But they do indeed exist.
posted by number9dream at 3:38 AM on May 8, 2010

Yeah, if you've ever used a toilet that moos loudly after flushing, then you've used a macerator. They're the domesticated version of a Muffin Monster.
posted by scruss at 7:02 AM on May 8, 2010

These are not uncommon in Paris apartments. They allow a toilet to be installed where a sewer pipe wide enough for solids can't be installed; you just a narrow pipe carrying liquids. They're called "sanibroyeur", "broyeur" connotes grinding or crushing, like a mill. Personally I think of them as a "moulin à merde", but I just made that up.

I'm not sure where you'd find one in North America. If you're thinking of installing one, know that they're noisy and require electricity. They also are a complete mess if they get clogged by, say, a tampon.
posted by Nelson at 7:23 AM on May 8, 2010

They are also very common on boats.
posted by Rumple at 10:41 AM on May 8, 2010

« Older Books that vividly describe a city or town?   |   Two great tastes that taste terrible together Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.