What is the title or artist of this modern art piece?
May 2, 2010 3:45 PM   Subscribe

Does anyone know the title or artist of this modern art piece?

About two years ago, I was in a modern art museum on the east coast and came across a great set of similar paintings. I'm trying to track them down so I can order a print. Does anyone know an artist whose work fits the following description?

From far away, the paintings looked like this (in various colors): http://www.celedy.com/feature_images/gradientfillfive.jpg However, from a short distance, the painting looked like colored graph paper, where each grid cell was a slightly different color with a light border. The colors blend together when you step away from it to form the gradient.

I'd love to determine the name of the artist but haven't had any luck.
posted by aatreya to Media & Arts (14 answers total)
Colored grid makes me think Gerhard Richter (1 2 3) but those are multicolored, not blue.
Graph paper makes me think Robert Ryman (can't find an example of what I mean, but those are mostly white).
posted by k. at 4:05 PM on May 2, 2010

If you remember what museum it was, try Google Image Searching with site:[that museum] and pick blue from the list of colors on the left. Many museums have images of their collections on the web.
posted by k. at 4:08 PM on May 2, 2010

Richard Anuszkiewicz?
posted by neroli at 5:01 PM on May 2, 2010

Could it have been a Sol LeWitt wall drawing? This and this at the Mass MoCA retrospective sort of evoke your description, as do this and this at the MoMA.
posted by doift at 5:03 PM on May 2, 2010

Thanks for all the suggestions. Many of those are close, but not quite the paintings I saw. I did some more brainstorming and I think I saw it in the Smithsonian American Art museum last summer.
posted by aatreya at 5:48 PM on May 2, 2010

Maybe Agnes Martin?
posted by jenmakes at 5:59 PM on May 2, 2010

I've tweeted the Smithsonian American Art Museum for you. The shade of blue could be International Klein Blue? Yves Klein is not known for his grids though.
posted by cogat at 6:08 PM on May 2, 2010

The Hirschorn Museum in Washington D.C. has several pieces by French op artist Victor Vasarely. This one seems pretty close to your description.
posted by bonsai forest at 6:28 PM on May 2, 2010

Here's a larger view of the Victor Vasarely painting I referenced above.
posted by bonsai forest at 6:31 PM on May 2, 2010

I concur with the Vasarely...,
posted by seppyk at 7:40 PM on May 2, 2010

See also 1, 2, 3, 4. Google image search turns up a bunch more.
posted by oddman at 10:05 PM on May 2, 2010

Thanks, everyone. The Vasarely works are quite close. Either I'm having trouble finding the exact works, though, or he's not the artist. I've emailed the Smithsonian museum to see if they have any suggestions, so hopefully that will help.
posted by aatreya at 12:22 AM on May 3, 2010

The Smithsonian replied:
Try http://ow.ly/1HKrd or http://ow.ly/1HKsN. Both part of '08 Local Color exhibition.
posted by cogat at 7:43 PM on May 7, 2010

That's it! Thank you all very much.
posted by aatreya at 11:21 AM on May 27, 2010

« Older Is there a way for a guy to flirt with men who...   |   I want more bechamel Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.