Taking the Kid on the Up and Up
April 14, 2010 10:56 AM   Subscribe

How do I get my boyfriend's kid to Europe without trouble at the borders?

Traveling with my boyfriend's 13 yo son, whose been my "family" for seven years. We've traveled before, but always with his father. This time, I'm chaperoning him myself to visit my family in Norway. What kind of documentation do I need to get him across borders conveniently without raising red flags that I'm a kidnapper?
posted by RedEmma to Travel & Transportation (5 answers total)
I'd get a notarized power of attorney or notarized affidavit from your boyfriend allowing you to escort the child into Norway and copies of any custody documents your boyfriend has. Be sure that your boyfriend includes contact information in his power of attorney or affidavit so that the consular officer can call him and confirm.
posted by lockestockbarrel at 11:03 AM on April 14, 2010

Best answer: Underage children require parental consent if they intend to travel with only one parent, the other parent must produce a written consent certified by a notary public. If only one parent has guardianship of the minor, he/she must submit the court judgment.

For underage children travelling with their teachers, friends, relatives etc., a letter signed by at least one of the child’s parents or legal guardian that gives consent for the nominated person to travel with the child within a certain time period must be submitted.

Info page for Norway's immigration department.

In short - a signed, certified (notarized) letter of permission from the parents should do, which should state your name, relationship to the child, dates and location of travel.
posted by MuffinMan at 11:07 AM on April 14, 2010

Taken together, MuffinMan's two points seem to allow quite the loophole for a separated parent to kidnap their child-- just sign a letter and send him/her off with a friend.
posted by acidic at 11:22 AM on April 14, 2010 [1 favorite]

Agree on that - it reads like it's easier for a 3rd party to travel with the child than a divorced parent. Hence why I put the link for the immigration department.
posted by MuffinMan at 1:06 PM on April 14, 2010

Best answer: I've done this a couple of times with my partners niece going to Ireland via the UK. I was never questioned entering Ireland, but I've always been very closely questioned entering the UK (40 something guy travelling with 13yo Asian girl). I have used the following letter each time. Also make sure you have an original copy of the kids birth certificate. If both parents are on the birth certificate then BOTH need to sign the letter. Make sure all the names (yours, the kids & the parents) are all consistent between letter, kid's passport & the birth cert. Remember the letter has to be notarized. In my case they have asked the kid some questions, like do they know me, are the happy to travel with me and what grade they're in or what school they go to.


I, [parents name/s], understand that my/our [son||daughter] [child's name] will be travelling to [final destination], via [intermediate airports], on [date], aboard flights [flight numbers] with [your name & relationship to the child if any]. Their expected return date is [date], aboard flights [flight numbers].


[parent's name]

Address: [parents address]
Tel/Contact: [parents contact number]


Witness Print Name:______________________

Notary Public Signature/Seal
[Notary: Please include or attach the appropriate acknowledgment wording prescribed by your state]

posted by Long Way To Go at 8:43 AM on April 15, 2010 [1 favorite]

« Older How do you draw the line about which racists to...   |   What else is an MLIS good for? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.