January 16, 2010 3:53 AM   Subscribe

Our (rented) house has a mould problem. We're moving in a month. Is there a problem of transporting spores into the new place, and if so, how do we avoid it without having to replace all our furniture?
posted by monkey closet to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I don't think the spores are nearly as much an issue as is a fertile environment for the mold to grow in. Unless the new place has a moisture problem, I'd bet you'll be fine. I am assuming the furniture is not perceptibly moldy. Also, IANAMoldExpert.
posted by jon1270 at 4:52 AM on January 16, 2010

Did your furniture get damp?
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 5:18 AM on January 16, 2010

I live in a moldy climate, but I never thought about this. You could maybe get a dehumidifier to run in your new house for a while after you move.
posted by fairywench at 5:34 AM on January 16, 2010

The spores are everywhere already - it is the damp warm conditions that make mould a problem.
posted by Meatbomb at 5:47 AM on January 16, 2010 [1 favorite]

Cleaning your furniture and making sure it is not mouldy itself might be a good idea. There's lots of sites with tips and advice if you search on something like "how to clean mouldy furniture". This one has a fairly straightforward chart.
posted by carmen at 6:54 AM on January 16, 2010

As long as conditions in your your abode are dry and clean, simply making sure your possessions are clean and reasonably dust free should be fine. Mold thrives when it has some heat, something organic to eat, and a long-term source of moisture (that usually goes unnoticed by people until the mold gets established).
posted by Danf at 7:11 AM on January 16, 2010

« Older Name this psychological phenomenon?   |   I need to know how many people in the USA have a... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.