Import/export international trade license?
January 18, 2005 1:11 PM   Subscribe

Does anyone have any information on what it takes to obtain an import or export license for international trade into the U.S.?
posted by Gooney to Law & Government (5 answers total)
Response by poster: We were thinking about things like pottery or rugs....
posted by Gooney at 1:21 PM on January 18, 2005

A pickup truck and some friends in the US border patrol.
posted by borkingchikapa at 1:48 PM on January 18, 2005

US Customs might be a good place to check, since they give out the licenses.
posted by goatdog at 1:50 PM on January 18, 2005

What's the commodity? Are you talking about export of controlled commodities? Military goods, high-tech lasers, chemical precursor, encryption technology? Those commodities fall under the purview of the Dept. of Commerce and State rather than Customs. Not many commodities require licenses or permits for import into the US. Only military, endangered species related goods come to mind.
posted by Carbolic at 11:12 AM on January 19, 2005

Unless you're trading in controlled items, which seems most unlikely in your case, the good news is that you don't need import or export licenses, as the USA is (mostly) a free-trading country. No bureaucrat's permission is required for you engage in trade with most foreigners.
posted by Goedel at 12:30 PM on January 19, 2005

« Older What is in your magazine rack?   |   Cough Cough Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.