Can I get a referral to a dermatologist ASAP?
December 25, 2009 3:20 PM   Subscribe

I want to see a dermatologist. I'm living in Canada on my wife's UHIP plan. The doctor I've been seeing at the clinic is away until mid January. He'd likely just refer me then, anyway. Is there any way I can make this happen ASAP, or do I need to wait?

For reference, I was told to come back in mid-December for a follow-up on a prescription, but he was already away. I need a dermatologist to do a pull test to help point me towards either MPB or telogen effluvium, taking into account a (recently) persistent scalp condition.
posted by setanor to Health & Fitness (5 answers total)
My first thought is that it's going to take a while to see the dermatologist anyway, given their usual wait times, so you might as well wait until your doctor gets back so that he/she can try to expedite the referral. Plus, I'm sure a lot of the dermatologists are on vacation too. You could always try to get an appointment with a cosmetic dermatologist (i.e. stuff not covered by OHIP/UHIP); there must be tons of them in Toronto.

M-hairy Christmas, and don't sweat it too much!
posted by greatgefilte at 3:58 PM on December 25, 2009

Average wait time here (Canada, BC) for a dermatologist (non-emerg) appointment is 3-6 months. People do frequently get in faster if they sign up to be notified of a cancellation.
posted by reflecked at 5:56 PM on December 25, 2009

I'm not sure what that test is and I'm not sure about the Canadian system but in the US if you are really concerned about something it couldn't hurt to see a general practitioner. If they agree with your concern for urgency they can almost always pull some strings to get you in sooner with someone.
posted by Octoparrot at 9:18 PM on December 25, 2009

I had to see a dermatologist in the spring, never been to one before, and only had to wait 4 business days for an appt. It wasn't an emergency, I live in Southern Ontario.
posted by zarah at 10:15 AM on December 26, 2009

If you go to a walk-in clinic, you can probably get a referral to a dermatologist or any other specialist.
posted by maudlin at 12:12 PM on December 26, 2009

« Older What else can I do to let go of thoughts of an ex?   |   City mouse or Country mouse? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.