Knob Snob
December 22, 2009 12:40 PM   Subscribe

I just bought these speakers to use with my TV and I need a creative way to control them via a standard IR remote control.

Why is this even an issue? Because the speakers are designed to work with a computer so they don't have their own IR receiver. The volume is controlled with this adorably impractical little knob. I'd just use the volume controls on the TV, but it's too smart for its own good and disables the volume controls when speakers are plugged in. The two options I have come up with so far are:

1. Get some sort of amplifier/middleman device that can control the volume from the TV via IR and output the signal to the speakers.

2. Use my very limited electronics skills to design a device that turns the little knob based on IR input. (this sounds like a crapload of fun, but I don't really know where to start)

Does anyone have any ideas that will get me on the right track to implementing either of the above 2 ideas? Also, can anyone think of a simpler or more badass solution?
posted by nomad to Technology (7 answers total)
All I know is that if you go for option 2, this is the remote control you'll need to use with it.
posted by Faint of Butt at 12:44 PM on December 22, 2009

Check in your tv options, mine does the same as yours by default, but you can switch it the other way.
posted by pupdog at 12:51 PM on December 22, 2009

I've spent about an hour playing around with the TV options as well as upgrading the firmware. Apparently there's a hacked version of the firmware, but it seems like just a proof of concept at the moment.

Faint, I solemnly swear that if I get #2 up and running, I will buy that wand use it exclusively and obnoxiously.
posted by nomad at 12:55 PM on December 22, 2009 [1 favorite]

A dead simple and cheap solution would be to splice 20 feet of extra wire between the volume knob and the speakers. Run it under your carpet, through the walls, or whatever, and then mount the little knob in a convenient place near your couch.
posted by chrisamiller at 12:55 PM on December 22, 2009

I really need this to be controlled via the normal remote control or any type of universal remote. It's basically the only criteria for this project (I'm willing to spare no effort or cash)
posted by nomad at 1:12 PM on December 22, 2009

Googling "infrared volume control" found me this. It's a kit, but you can buy it assembled for $20 more.
posted by kindall at 1:21 PM on December 22, 2009 [1 favorite]

You don't want something that physically twists the knob - What happens when it slips/falls off? Something that wires in before the speakers is better: This is a solved problem in the A/V space. $26 built, $30 kit, $200 built (Many more options available with a google of 'IR Line Level control')
posted by Orb2069 at 1:28 PM on December 22, 2009 [1 favorite]

« Older How can I make a Dessert Curry?   |   Your script is my command! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.