programs like NYU's Gallatin?
December 7, 2009 4:34 AM   Subscribe

I'm looking for advanced degree programs (graduate and up) of individualized study like the one at Gallatin at NYU.

I'm having a hard time searching for special programs like it, since they don't fit into usual categories of study (being interdisciplinary, they don't show under any discipline). I could really use ideas on how to search for them.
posted by ThiefOfSweets to Education (10 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
Although there are some grad programs where things are more dictated, in most research grad programs I'm familiar with everybody has an individualized program and works with their advisor to design their particular course of study, which may include coursework from departments throughout campus, and to design their research, which can be on nearly anything which loosely fits within the department and frequently draws heavily from other disciplines. I'm not clear on how what you're looking for is different except for the name of the degree on the diploma, maybe.
posted by hydropsyche at 4:49 AM on December 7, 2009

Best answer: UChicago has MAPSS (and one for the "softer" liberal arts, the name of which I can't remember).
posted by oinopaponton at 4:52 AM on December 7, 2009

Response by poster: hydropsyche, I'm looking for programs that describe themselves as interdisciplinary.
posted by ThiefOfSweets at 5:47 AM on December 7, 2009

Response by poster: thanks oinopaponton

mefi, please keep it coming!
posted by ThiefOfSweets at 5:48 AM on December 7, 2009

Though I know you're looking for something individualized, what sorts of subjects are you looking to combine?
posted by dubitoergosum at 5:56 AM on December 7, 2009

Response by poster: I have ideas that cross psychology, medicine and research methodology.
posted by ThiefOfSweets at 7:30 AM on December 7, 2009

You might be interested in the PEMM program at Dartmouth -- it's an interdisciplinary dept that includes people from research units within the medical school and the psychology department.
posted by brainmouse at 8:29 AM on December 7, 2009

Response by poster: brainmouse, I'll be coming more from the angle of social studies than medicine.
posted by ThiefOfSweets at 8:52 AM on December 7, 2009

You might be interested in SSRI at Duke and the affiliated social psychology program.

In general, though, you will be best served by the advice given to all other grad school applicants: find researchers you want to work with and then talk to them about in which programs they supervise students and which of those you might be the best fit for.
posted by hydropsyche at 10:33 AM on December 7, 2009

It's more humanities/media than you seem to want, but MIT has the Comparative Media Studies program.
posted by suedehead at 10:46 AM on December 7, 2009

« Older the ---- effect   |   iTunes fails to launch in recently upgraded... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.