Industrial-grade paper cutters?
December 19, 2004 11:05 AM   Subscribe

I've been doing lots of paper-crafty things in the last month - mainly bulk cutting and folding. Because of this, I've become interested in those super paper cutters I've seen at printshops over the years - the industrial kind that will chop right through a whole stack of paper. I've yet to hit on the proper word combination to find this variety of cutter with google [I'm currently using one of those long 'guillotine' arm cutters]. I'm also curious if there is some sort of contraption that similarly lazy-fies folding.
posted by adamkempa to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (15 answers total)
posted by andrew cooke at 11:19 AM on December 19, 2004

Stack cutter (or ream cutter).
posted by O9scar at 11:28 AM on December 19, 2004

Response by poster: In all the search results I've been finding, those art-room-dwelling long-armed paper cutters are referred to as guillotine cutters. Is that wrong? These are the ones attached at one end of the cutting board with a screw, so the cut is a sort of angular action. The ones i'm looking for are mostly just a straight downward chop.
posted by adamkempa at 11:29 AM on December 19, 2004

try this: machinerunner
posted by alball at 11:31 AM on December 19, 2004

Response by poster: Non-mefite Chris just emailed me to say that they're called 'stack cutters.' Further research reveals they cost a bajillion dollars.
posted by adamkempa at 11:33 AM on December 19, 2004

Response by poster: Oh and two other people posted the answer without me noticing it, too. Thanks everyone!
posted by adamkempa at 11:36 AM on December 19, 2004

When I used to work at Kinko's, there was a machine that would fold paper for you. I don't know what it was called (other than the folder) and it was definitely industrial -- but they do exist.
posted by sugarfish at 11:39 AM on December 19, 2004

I have a paper folding machine at work, and I think it is called 'Paper Folding Machine' or some such technical term.
posted by rhapsodie at 11:47 AM on December 19, 2004

Response by poster: Friction paper folder.

In case this thread is useful to anyone else, ebay seems to be the place to go for these. Thanks everyone for your help.
posted by adamkempa at 11:50 AM on December 19, 2004

Now that we've got an answer, don't forget the origami robot.
posted by metaculpa at 12:34 PM on December 19, 2004

oh, sorry. i just realised "guillotine" was in the original post. duh.
posted by andrew cooke at 1:33 PM on December 19, 2004

Aww, I wish you'd posted this question a month ago. I threw out two of those bad boys when our office closed.
posted by mr_crash_davis at 1:43 PM on December 19, 2004

Response by poster: Doh!
posted by adamkempa at 2:13 PM on December 19, 2004

Go to used offlice supply stores, the kind that sell old desks and chairs and stuff. I've seen them there (and HUGE ones to boot) for decent prices. Talk the price down though if you can, who else is going to buy them if not you?
posted by pwb503 at 3:06 PM on December 19, 2004

The only stack cutter I've seen is in a local big printshop.

It. Scares. Me.

Sucker is at least six feet wide and has an automatic table. You punch in the dimensions and shove the stack of paper, up to about four inches (six, even?) thick. Then you spread your arms wide and press two buttons simultaneously. This is the safety.

A mirror-polished blade slides to the measurement and descends smoothly. It effortlessly passes through the paper with the barest whisper. It's as if the paper weren't even there.

It is an absolutely menacing, nightmare-inducing sight. I don't know if you'd feel any pain as it passed through a limb, and I'm quite sure it wouldn't even show the slightest strain in doing so. Silent, smooth, deadly.

Makes wicked nice cut edges, though!
posted by five fresh fish at 6:10 PM on December 19, 2004

« Older Where can I get tagless high-quality long-sleeved...   |   Best Linux build for my server? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.