Late 1930s, Eliot Maine, one-room school.

Did any other MeFi's go to Mrs. Luba's School, in Eliot Maine, or know of it?
posted by RichardS to Education (5 answers total)

I've never heard of it, and I live one town over from Eliot. Would you like me to do a local inquiry on the Eliot, ME, mailing list?
posted by Miko at 8:44 AM on August 25, 2009

I doubt that it still exists (this was over 70 years ago). She'd converted a large room in a farm house to a schoolroom. Kindergarten, first, and second grade in different rows in the same room. Big yard out front for playing games like "May I?" at recess.
posted by RichardS at 9:35 AM on August 25, 2009

Thanks, Miko, for your offer. Guess my question doesn't have a MeFi answer.
posted by RichardS at 11:56 AM on August 25, 2009

Are you doing a genealogy search for a family member? You could try a trial 14-day membership at Ancestry.com and scout around there.

This came up in a quick Google search: Maine Genealogy. Try posting there about the school -- I bet someone will remember it. (You might even be surprised to hear from some nonagenarians!)

Good luck.
posted by vickyverky at 1:31 PM on August 25, 2009

Looks like that last name is Lubas -- of which there were plenty in Maine in the early 20th century. Memail me if you have a first name and want me to dig a bit on Ancestry.com.
posted by vickyverky at 1:36 PM on August 25, 2009

« Older Why, yes, I'd love a free meal!   |   Plates...? Newer »