How to become a non-drinker?
August 17, 2009 4:46 PM Subscribe
I just started a long-term medication (bupropion, for ADD) that interacts very, very badly with alcohol. I don't miss the booze itself, but not being able to drink throws all sorts of monkey wrenches into my social life. I need advice on how to be a non-drinker in the drinkingest town in the United States, New York City... where the default activity for any occaision is going out for a drink.
- What do I tell people? I've tried being vague ("I'm taking some medication... it's a long story.") but people always ask what I'm taking. You might say that's rude, but telling every new friend or date that they're rude isn't a viable option. How can I handle the question while hopefully communicating these points:
- I'm not judging you for drinking. I wish I could drink, too!
- It's not because I have a terrible secret. It's not because I'm "crazy". It's not because I'm uptight.
- I don't want to get into too many details.
- What are some non-alcoholic drinks that won't draw undue attention to themselves?
- I often hear things like, "I must seem so drunk to you!" or, "You must think we're all so drunk and sloppy!" How can I put people at ease?
- Bonus question: I'm on the fence about attending Burning Man for the first time this year. If you've been, how much would being stone-cold sober affect my experience?