Carnivorous Plants in NYC

Is there a store in New York City that specializes in (or at least sells) carnivorous plants?

I know that Evolution and AMNH probably have like the wacky Venus Fly Trap kits, but I'd prefer to get something that was actually cultivated and cared for by somebody who knew what they were doing.
posted by one_bean to Shopping (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Not-in-NY-but: California Carnivores is run by the guy who literally wrote the book on carnivorous plants. I've ordered from them online before and the plants arrived healthy, happy, and hungry.
posted by mudpuppie at 1:32 PM on December 15, 2008

Seconding California Carnivores. And if you have any questions, they're very quick to reply and help you out.
posted by katillathehun at 1:34 PM on December 15, 2008

I can't help you with NYC retail, but if you don't find anything local I can recommend mailorder from Sarracenia Northwest and California Carnivores. I've been very pleased with the quality of plants from both nurseries. The care in packing/shipping is outstanding as well, each plant will sealed under a plastic cup and tape that holds the soil in place. Opt for the heatpack too, you wouldn't want your plants to freeze on your doorstep.

Keep in mind that most species of carnivorous plants are dormant this time of year and aren't much to look at. Look to Nepenthes, pgymy Drosera, and Pinguicula (which will be in their succulent winter resting state) for CPs which are semi-active in winter. On the other hand, it's a great time to buy bare-root Sarrs. I love these guys for that.
posted by jamaro at 1:39 PM on December 15, 2008

Best answer: The garden shop at Brooklyn Botanic Garden should have them for sale. They may not specialize but I bet they do a pretty good job. (oh look: see here.)
posted by felix grundy at 1:47 PM on December 15, 2008

Response by poster: Thanks for the mail-order suggestions, but I need it on short notice. I've been to CA Carnivores before, and they are definitely great. I'll stop by the BBG, thanks!
posted by one_bean at 3:48 PM on December 15, 2008

Response by poster: Brooklyn Botanic Garden did, indeed, have both pitcher plants and venus fly traps (for $10 and $7, respectively), with instructions on how to take care of them. Admission was also free, probably because it was snowing/wintry mix. In sum, it was the best Yankee swap present until I opened the bag of lemons, limes, grapefruits, and miracle fruit. That was way cooler.
posted by one_bean at 10:35 PM on December 21, 2008

« Older In San Francisco, do you tip your apartment...   |   VISA or pension? Newer »