Wanted: Research on how illustrations influence learning

I'm looking for well-respected, academic research on the positive influence of illustrations in a learning environment--more specifically, when used in textbooks. Thought I would put the question to the hive during my search. Can anyone recommend some good sources?
posted by runningdogofcapitalism to Education (3 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

IVLA publications is a good place to start. Frank Dwyer and Mike Moore are foundational researchers in the field. Look at their book and what references it. See also the instructional message design section of the Handbook of Research for Educational Communications and Technology (first ed is online). That's always a good place to start for any instructional technology research.
posted by idb at 7:40 AM on November 27, 2008 [1 favorite]

Victor Lee (Learning Sciences at Northwestern) just defended a dissertation (2 days ago) that included study of textbook representations' effect on students' thinking. You might contact him.
posted by rbs at 8:29 AM on November 27, 2008

That's good advice...thank you both for this!
posted by runningdogofcapitalism at 6:15 AM on November 28, 2008

« Older footer placement nightmare   |   How to deal with the IT Skinner box? Newer »