How Can I Change Driver's License Address without Proof of Address?
October 31, 2008 10:53 AM   Subscribe

How can I change my address on my driver's license if I don't have the proof of address that the BMV requires?

I have roommates, and none of the utilities are in my name so I don't have a bill. I am self-employed, so I do not have a pay stub. Is there an easy way to officially prove that I live where I live?

(I am in Indiana, if that matters.)
posted by Nedroid to Law & Government (9 answers total)
some government offices will take cellphone or bank statements made out to your address in lieu of the usual utilities, did you try those?
posted by lia at 11:13 AM on October 31, 2008

Best answer: Any "official" mail sent in your name to your new address should suffice. Bank statements, credit card bills, car insurance statements, etc. The Indiana BMV website doesn't delineate specific documents beyond:
"If your address has changed, you will need to present proof of your current address. A primary or secondary document may be used to provide proof of address as long as the document shows your correct name and address."
posted by Thorzdad at 11:20 AM on October 31, 2008

I'm in CA, but in the last ten years, every time I've moved they've simply told me to write my name and address on a piece of paper and carry that around with my driver's license. Easy but ridiculous, YMMV.

FYI, I've also had to fill out the MV paperwork, they just refuse to issue a new license.
posted by iamkimiam at 11:34 AM on October 31, 2008

Best answer: Thorzad has it - and here's a list of the primary and secondary documents he mentions.

A recent bank statement should suffice.
posted by averyoldworld at 11:43 AM on October 31, 2008

Conjure up a least. There are lots of lease templates on the intarweb.
posted by workerant at 1:45 PM on October 31, 2008

Least? Lease. Sorry.
posted by workerant at 1:47 PM on October 31, 2008

It's often easier to obtain or renew US passports than it is to get or change state drivers licenses. You may be able to get a passport with your correct address, which your DMV should accept as proof of your new address. Doesn't make much sense, but it works sometimes.
posted by footnote at 4:14 PM on October 31, 2008

Oh wait, a passport doesn't have your address in it. Nevermind!
posted by footnote at 4:15 PM on October 31, 2008

Worst worst case, get a doctor, dentist, vet, some legit business send you a billing statement. I'm in Maryland and used a billing statement from my moving company (that they mailed me) to establish my address with the motor vehicle folks.
posted by RobGF at 7:30 PM on October 31, 2008

« Older I need pants   |   Emergency need to eat Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.