I've decided to give up Google. No more Gmail, no more (tracked) web searches, no more calendar, no more iGoogle, no more maps... I'll miss them all but, frankly, I'm very concerned that Google knows too much about me (see here
What I want is to distribute my web activities across several services and am trying to find replacements of the same quality
. The main thing I need is a good web-based email service. It's essential this doesn't include tags/adverts at the end of each email I send. I'll happily pay a fee for this if necessary.
But here's the kicker: I need all this to be compatible with Safari. A surprising number of free email services aren't (Yahoo! Mail Beta, Inbox.com...). My view is that if the developers can't be bothered to test against Safari, then I can't be bothered to use their service. Quid pro quo.
What I need to find, in order of importance:
* Web-based email service (sent emails should be ad-free, pop3 not essential)
* Web search (although I can still use Google anonymously, I guess, provided I wipe its cookies)
* Mapping/route-finding service (I live in the UK)
* Calendar service (some kind of alert system would be cool)
* Image search
* News headline aggregation
* Usenet search (maybe Google has that one sewn-up)