What happened in Sacramento?
June 13, 2006 4:40 PM Subscribe
My co-workers and I are interested in forming a group that explores the cultural history of Sacramento, but we're not sure where to start.
posted by i8ny3x to Society & Culture (17 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
The idea is to visit the places in Sacramento referenced in books and movies, and also actual places where recent historical events took place.
Here is from a friend's recent e-mail:
I like this list of exploration suggestions that Gail has proposed:
- Spot near Capitol where Squeaky Fromme tried to shoot Gerald Ford
- Apartment near Paragary's where Patty Hearst was held hostage briefly
- Dorothy Puente's apartment building
- Del Paso Country Club that Joan Didion dissed (this needs confirmation)
- Fields out near Marysville where Juan Corona buried his victims (apparently grave sites became a residential subdivision)
- I would also be interested in checking out things that involve the area's railroad history (my trip to the Railroad Museum with my parents piqued my interest there), the gold rush history, and finding where the Reagans lived in East Sac.
(Another co-worker) is compiling a list of books to read about Sac, though so far this list seems pretty short and limited to what could be pretty crappy mystery novels.
Is our focus too broad? Is there that much that went on in Sacramento? What else is there to explore? Other books/movies that took place/filmed in Sacramento? Thanks for your help. I'm excited about starting!