I'd like some recommendations for windshield or dashboard mounts for my iPhone 4s.
* I drive a lot and have what some might call an extreme commute.
* I have an iPhone 4s in an Otterbox Defender case. I love this case and I'm not getting a different one; if the case ever breaks I will very likely buy the same case again.
* I use Waze
for traffic avoidance and GPS directions.
* I use Audible
to listen to audiobooks during my commute.
* I have a car charger and a patch cable which jacks the audio into my car's AUX port so the audio goes directly to my car stereo. If it matters, which I don't think it does, I drive an '07 Subaru Legacy.
Right now I set my phone down on the center console, on top of the little sliding door that covers the drink holders. I hate having to look away from the road to interact with Audible or Waze, even for just a moment. It's not just annoying, but it's also dangerous, and illegal in most states (including mine).
So, I'm researching car mounts. Amazon
both show me tons of options, plus I've looked at a few of the linked reviews
. All this information just leaves me even more confused and undecided than before. So, I'm appealing to you, Ask MeFi, for some help and recommendations.
Some Requirements -- I'd like a mount that will:
* Keep my phone at eye level for GPS purposes, preferrably a windshield or dashboard mount such as those used with standalone GPS devices. An air vent mount would be nice in the summer for keeping the phone cool, but obviously not during the winter when I run the heat in the car, so I've ruled out any air vent style mounts.
* Allow access to the charging port at the bottom of the phone and the headphone jack at the top.
* Allow the wires not to be TOO messy going to the cigarette lighter charger and the AUX jack, though this is probably not easy and is therefore not a hard requirement. Difficulty level: my car is stick-shift.
* Not require me to remove my phone from the case. As much as I love love LOVE the Otterbox, it's a pain in the arse to get the phone in and out of it. I NEED the case when I'm not driving because I'm a huge clutz and have been known to drop the phone.