What is the greatest recording of the Blue Danube Waltz?

What is the greatest recording of the Blue Danube Waltz? I want to dance to it at my wedding. I have Googled and whatnot. I want to hear personal suggestions from MeFites.
posted by trip and a half to Society & Culture (10 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

The best recording I know of is by Staatskapelle Dresden. I personally would not try to dance to it:

Blue Danube can be brutally fast, even for a Viennese. Whatever recording you choose, I would highly recommend dancing the whole song with your sweetie before the ceremony.
posted by The Gaffer at 2:42 PM on June 11 [1 favorite]

What you need is Carlos Kleiber.
posted by Namlit at 3:00 PM on June 11 [2 favorites]

I'd get one recorded by the Vienna Phllharmonic or the Vienna State Opera Orchestra—those guys have this music in their blood. Foreigners usually don't get the subtle lilt.
posted by languagehat at 3:23 PM on June 11 [3 favorites]

To answer the question directly, Vienna Philharmonic.

(A digression: as brief interlude for our hippy wedding, we asked my niece to play the melody of the Blue Danube Waltz on flute, and my mother in law accompanied on violin).
posted by ovvl at 5:12 PM on June 11 [1 favorite]

The Gaffer: we're both proficient dancers and, I think, up to a fast waltz. And we will rehearse. This is intended as a surprise to the people who attend the wedding.

Thank you all. As I suspected and as languagehat has suggested, I think we'll go with a Vienna Philharmonic recording.

Namlit, I am listening to your link now. It's pretty awesome. If nothing else pans out, we may go with it.
posted by trip and a half at 5:28 PM on June 11

When I was a kid, I loved waltzes, and I had the Mad About the Waltz CD (part of the Mad About series published by Deutsche Grammophon). The version of the Blue Danube waltz on that CD is by the Vienna Philharmonic, and it's my favorite version of the piece to this day.
posted by odin53 at 7:26 PM on June 11 [1 favorite]

You may be a very proficient dancer but also consider your fitness level and how sweaty you want to get. EVen when I was at peak competitive fitness I wouldn't want to fast waltz for more than 90 seconds, and not more than a minute in formal clothes, and that's a very fast waltz! What a lovely idea though, hopefully you're happy to edit out a section?
posted by kadia_a at 10:50 PM on June 11 [1 favorite]

kadia_a, I do see your point! I don't think we'll perform a dance to the whole thing. Right now I'm just entertaining the idea of a quick exit down the aisle immediately after the vows are exchanged. Trying to find the best recording from which to pick the perfect passage.
posted by trip and a half at 11:33 PM on June 11

listening to your link now. It's pretty awesome. If nothing else pans out, we may go with it

Ah, I see, more help needed. It's track 8 on the second of this set of disks. The New Year's Concerts are released on all media imaginable, so what you do is to go to youtube, poke around a bit in "Neujahreskonzerte", and then look for a CD version. It's always the Vienna philharmonic - various conductors every year. I like Kleiber best.
posted by Namlit at 12:36 AM on June 12 [1 favorite]

« Older Let's say I'm in the USA and I...   |  My dad, who is an engineering ... Newer »