Thinking of moving to S. Oregon (Meford/Ashland) ... Advice?
December 12, 2013 11:52 AM Subscribe
There is a possibility I may be getting a job that would require a relocation to southern Oregon (Medford/Ashland area) With a few exceptions, I've grown up and lived almost my entire life in the Chicago area. Can you help recommend a community or neighborhood? Details inside.
posted by zooropa to Society & Culture (15 answers total)
(First off, please no recommendations about telecommuting or working remotely. This is a senior role and the job would require me to be on-site in Medford. Thanks!)
We've been living the last few years in the western suburbs of Chicago. Specifically, Downers Grove, and we've absolutely loved it. In fact, the recommendation for Downers Grove came from folks here on the Green
. Neither of us know much about Medford or Ashland, though, so I'm hoping the Green came through again.
Of course, we recognize that this is a significant change in lifestyle. But if I get hired, where should we be looking to live?
Here's what we're looking for:
- Communities where the houses don't all look exactly the same.
- Good schools (our son turns 10 months old next week, so we're looking ahead)
- Walkable "mini-downtowns" that function as a community hub where you can walk around, get an ice cream, enjoy a nice summer night out and about.
- Family-friendly activities.
- Culture (art, theatre, music, museums). We like live music, but do not go to bars or clubs to hear it.
- Small shops and independents.
- Communities and neighborhoods where every restaurant or business is not a big box retailer or national chain.
- Acceptance (we're an interfaith family and politically liberal).
Tall order? :)
So what do you think of southern Oregon (Medford/Ashland area). Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?