Romances like Georgette Heyer
June 28, 2013 3:15 AM Subscribe
I love Georgette Heyer's regency romances, but as I'm not regular romance reader, the signal to noise ratio when trying to find something similar is very low. My searches have yielded mixed results, can you help?
posted by smoke to Media & Arts (24 answers total) 38 users marked this as a favorite
The challenge I'm finding, is that that most romances (like most books, I suppose) are actually shit. And I don't like reading shit, or more accurately, I don't like the genre enough to deal with badness. My standards are pretty high for this kind of stuff, so only best of the best please.
Things I like about Heyers novels:
1. They are funny. This is what I like most.
2. They are accurate.
3. Lovely dialogue
4. Genuinely good quality prose.
Are there other romances like this? They don't have to be strictly Regency, but I suppose the historical aspect works for me, because of the kind of drawing room farce elements, and the dialogue.
Things I am not looking for:
1. Anachronism. I've read a few and glaring anachronisms particularly in speech and etiquette just killed them for me. There is nothing worse than reading contemporary dialogue, or stories that just completely disregard social mores of the time.
2. Bad, obvious writing. I like the "play-like" qualities of Heyer's work, and the often farcical elements. She writes the books with a light touch.
3. Porn. I have nothing against porn, but I read these books for the humour and the happy endings of a non-sexual variety. Sex is not a deal breaker, but I really don't want it overshadowing the narrative and characters. The book should not be a vehicle for sex scenes.
Can you guys help? Thanks