What's this little creature found in my pond?

I saw this little critter swimming around in my outdoor goldfish pond. It's maybe a little over 1/8" in diameter, seems to paddle around carelessly with feet/paddles on its underside. It's kind of flat, roundish and transparent, except for some spidery markings/innards. Seems to have a hint of a tail, and a couple eye-like spots. A search for baby crawfish turns up nothing quite like this. Mysterious how he got in the pond in the first place.
posted by 2N2222 to Science & Nature (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

He travelled in on a fish - I think that is a fish louse. They are kind of cute, I always think.
posted by Kaleidoscope at 9:26 PM on April 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

I thought the little guy in your photo was awwww so cuuuuuute too but I googled fish louse after seeing Kaleidoscope's answer and OH MY GOD NO NO NO
posted by threeants at 9:45 PM on April 18, 2013 [20 favorites]

There are products you can add to your pond to get rid of any remaining fish lice, which you want to do because as cute as they are, the lice are physically damaging your fish as well as a disease vector.
posted by jamaro at 9:55 PM on April 18, 2013

You folks got it. Thanks!
posted by 2N2222 at 10:07 PM on April 18, 2013

Almost wish I hadn't checked the answers. I was looking at the pictures, thinking, "Awww, I hope he put it back in the water".
posted by bonobothegreat at 7:19 AM on April 19, 2013 [4 favorites]

threeants - worst thing i've ever seen!
posted by stevedawg at 8:13 AM on April 19, 2013

Now that I've seen google, I don't like it any more :-(
posted by glasseyes at 4:43 PM on April 19, 2013

« Older So Belize has some pretty back...   |  How do I go about getting a ca... Newer »