I found an animal tooth in the couch cushions. Help me narrow down who it might have belonged to.
Here are some observations of the tooth:
- it had a large chunk of calculus (tartar) on one of the buccal surfaces, it chipped off
- it was dry, which makes me think it may have come loose from a skull
- enamel wear on the occlusal surface, but not so much that dentin is exposed
- The tooth has 2 main roots and a reduced third root
My top guess right now is possibly a canid maxillary first molar. For the size, I'd suppose either a small dog or a fox, but I'm not sure.
Here is photo reference of the tooth. I apologize for the poor quality.
1. with a dime for scale: http://i.imgur.com/UYJfnAb.jpg
2. occlusal view: http://i.imgur.com/gRxhuqH.jpg
3. apical view: http://i.imgur.com/zuo3ceo.jpg
4. slightly closer occlusal view: http://i.imgur.com/V5gNBE9.jpg