Direct line to Stephen Hawking
November 2, 2012 1:57 PM Subscribe
Where can I find someone willing to help me do
relativistic time dilation calculations?
posted by brenton to Science & Nature (14 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
MeFi answers is awesome, but I don't quite expect someone to be able to just write up the answer for me here... what I need is some place as awesome as MeFi, but with people who are experts in physics.
For the fun of it, here are the things I want to be able to calculate. (Or a simpler version, if it helps the math.)
1. A ship leaves earth and accelerates up to .5c over the course of 1,000 years. it travels for another 1,000 years, and then decelerates for 1,000 years to 0c. How many years have passed
- on the ship, relative to the ship?
- on the ship, relative to the earth?
- on the earth relative to the earth?
- on the earth relative to the ship?
- at the arrival spot, relative to the arrival spot?
- in the radio frequencies transmitted by earth that are currently being received by the ship (e.g. if they were listening to a radio station from earth, what would be the year of it's publication?)
2. The ship in question 1 was moving in a straight line away from earth. If it then started a second journey in a random direction (say, perhaps, at a 90 degree angle) how would you calculate everything from question 1 again?