Need shoes that will help me stay upright.
September 9, 2012 10:18 AM Subscribe
Help me replace my Danskos with shoes that won't make me fall over.
posted by linettasky to Shopping (20 answers total) 29 users marked this as a favorite
I have loved my black Danskos for years, except for one major thing: about every six-eight months, while wearing them, I twist my ankle and fall over. Last night's was the last straw. But now I need shoes that do the things I really wanted them to do.
- reasonably water resistant -- I live in Portland, OR, and these will be cold-weather shoes.
- good with or without socks
- looks good with pants or skirts; vaguely femme
- good for walking -- I regularly walk 2-5 miles just in my daily activities, and I'm not into heels
- not boots -- I have a great pair of boots
- I prefer shoes without laces
- not likely to make me fall over
They don't need to be especially fashionable (come on, I wear Danskos), but I'm 27 and would like to wear shoes that don't make me feel like my grandmother. I would also like them to last for as long as possible, and as a result, I am willing to spend what's necessary to buy well-made shoes. The last pair of attempted Dansko replacements were some Keen mary janes, which didn't last the year.
So, what do you recommend?