What's this action/post-apocalyptic Kiwi movie?

Help me identify this recent New Zealand movie about teenagers who return from a camping trip to find their city under attack.

No more than 2 years ago I saw a trailer for a movie that I really want to see. It was about a group of New Zealand (or maybe Australian but I doubt it) teenagers who go into the wilderness for a camping trip. When they reemerge back in civilization they find that the cities are all overrun by an attacker (maybe aliens?). They have the choice to retreat unnoticed in the wilderness but they decide to fight back by sabotaging their enemy in any way they can.

I really want to watch it! I can't find it on this list... I would have seen the trailer on either Hulu or themoviebox.net
posted by jschu to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Sounds like the Australian book series Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden, which was made into a movie in 2010.
posted by jessypie at 5:49 PM on August 10, 2012 [3 favorites]

Yes!! Thank you!

I was so sure it was a New Zealand movie, no wonder I couldn't find it.
posted by jschu at 5:55 PM on August 10, 2012

I haven't seen the movie but the books are really good (or at least the early ones are before the story starts dragging several novels in). Also, I misspoke initially in saying "the series" since the movie is just of the first book. I hadn't even realized there was a movie until you made this post, so I'll have to check it out too!

(Glad I could finally help someone out with one of these "identify this media" askmes!)
posted by jessypie at 6:00 PM on August 10, 2012 [1 favorite]

I should add that the movie is a lot of fun - maybe not quite as much of a complete and total fun guilty pleasure as Red Dawn but very entertaining nonetheless.
posted by item at 6:48 PM on August 10, 2012 [1 favorite]

As soon as I read the preview of your post I got excited because I knew exactly what you were asking about! I LOVED this book and wasn't aware it was a movie. I'm glad your question got answered and I'm glad I have a new movie to put on my find and watch list.
posted by missriss89 at 8:18 PM on August 10, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older In the Olympics, when an Ameri...   |  Why does my new Airport Extrem... Newer »