Like the Krypton Factor but with fewer tracksuits.
February 28, 2012 5:17 AM Subscribe
I'm looking for ideas for activities to do during a pub quiz/activities evening for ESL/EFL adult students. In addition to having "what's that film?" or "name that tune" rounds, what else can we *do* that would challenge them to use more English, be competitive, and have a great time? This is in Poland, by the way.
posted by mdonley to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Things we've done in the past that have gone well:
- teachers act out Polish films in English translation, or English films with Polish translation
- a name-that-tune round with a similar in-translation focus
- general knowledge questions popped up on a big screen with Powerpoint
Some ideas I've had:
- having teams compete to build the tallest tower/longest bridge out of toothpicks and gumdrops
- teams have to watch two nearly-identical clips of a short film and name the differences
- the activities should be conducted in English but still be possible to complete even if no one at the table/in the team is very proficient in English
- low-cost/easy-to-set-up activities are preferred
- we usually do 5-6 10 minute rounds with breaks
- teachers don't speak huge amounts of Polish
- it's going to be in about a month, on a Friday evening
- there's a bar!