Is it safe to eat this wild mushroom?
September 28, 2011 9:27 AM Subscribe
With all the rain we have had lately, there are a lot of mushrooms growing in the woods. I started reading about mushroom hunting and some mycologists claim that Chicken Mushrooms are reasonably safe to pick & eat. I recalled that there was an oak tree nearby that had been felled by Hurricane Irene, so I walk out to it and look. Sure enough, what I am fairly certain is a Laetiporus Sulphureus
growing from the snapped trunk.
posted by smoothvirus to science & nature (32 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
The mushroom I found looks exactly
like what is depicted in the photos on that site. I have never in my life eaten a wild mushroom, and like most people that grew up in the U.S., Mom/Dad/School taught me to never
eat a wild mushroom and only
eat mushrooms from a grocery store.
I would like to try it, it seems reasonably safe. However about 10% of the population are allergic to Chicken Mushrooms and eating enough of one can make you very nauseous.
I will go outside and snap some photos of the mushroom in question, are there any wild mushroom hunters or mycologists in the house? I am 99% certain that this is Laetiporus Sulphureus.
Some more info on the Chicken Mushroom - Laetiporus Sulphureus
For what it's worth, the mushroom in question is located in Bethesda Maryland. I think it's fairly fresh, I examined part of it and all of the fungus is still pretty soft and even a little bit juicy.