Social/Political theory of movement

I am looking for theories of political/social movement (i.e. dance, performance not ideological) for a research paper on the Mass Games in North Korea, a large-scale spectacle including gymnastics, music, dance and art performed for Kim Jung-Il.
posted by weaponsgradecarp to Society & Culture (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There's an old textbook that's cited in a couple of tangential (Afro-centric) articles I turned up on some cursory searching: Kinesics in Context. Essays in Body Motion and Communication by Birdwhistell. I don't see it online anywhere, but it's old and so available easy and cheap in print.
posted by carsonb at 11:00 AM on April 4, 2011

Is this the sort of thing you're after? Here's research suggesting that physical activities performed in unison, like marching or dancing, increase feelings of loyalty to the group.
posted by Corvid at 3:40 PM on April 4, 2011 [2 favorites]

« Older Puppyfilter: 9 month old lab. ...   |  What fun design-related things... Newer »