A non-English colleague's non-English son is off to the University of Warwick in England tomorrow! What not-obvious but super-useful UK websites will help him take full advantage of his new-found freedom (and maybe even save him some money)?
I'm looking beyond, say, Gumtree
, which I imagine he'll hear about relatively soon after arriving.
I'm thinking more about websites which can answer questions like:
- Where can one compare the best prices on pay-as-you-go mobile phones?
- Is there a better-than-Amazon.co.uk used book retailer?
- How can you check how bad the traffic is on the way up to Birmingham/down to London/wherever?
- Is there a site that helps one decipher the railway pricing system in order to get the best deals?
- Are there any farmer's markets in this area?
A few more details:
- He's basically a native speaker of English.
- I think he might be living in Leamington Spa.
- He'll be studying finance.
- He might be going to Brighton quite frequently.