I'm moving to Vienna for the summer. What do I need to know?
May 31, 2010 5:26 AM Subscribe
I'm moving to Vienna to work for nine weeks this summer. What do I need to know? How can I get the most out of my stay?
posted by henryaj to travel & transportation around Blausasc, France (14 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I've secured an expenses-paid summer internship
in Vienna from July to the beginning of September. I'm excited, if quite nervous (I've never lived abroad before) and want advice on how I can adapt to Viennese life as quickly as possible to minimise time spent figuring out how things work, how to get around and so on. Fun stuff to do I can probably work out for myself, though suggestions are welcome, particularly things off the beaten track for when I'm bored of my guidebook. I'm asking mainly about how best to enjoy the city and what advice any natives have about settling in.
If anyone with experience of living in Vienna has any advice about the city, I'd be very grateful. I'll leave the question quite open as I want to hear as much about Viennese life as I can! A few points:
- Housing is provided for me in Neubau.
- If anyone knows how to get a decent cellphone contract for that sort of period (three months), that would be great. My phone's unlocked and will work there. It would be ideal to get data while I'm out there for maps/navigating and so on without breaking the bank.
- My German isn't great (though I'm brushing up) but the programme itself is run in English.
- My stipend is paid into my UK bank account; my intention is to take money out with my card (which is no-commission with the bank I'm with).
- I'll be working nine to five but will have most evenings and weekends free.
Show me how it's done in Österreich.