Old Bike

I am getting a new bike. I don't have the space for both. What can I do with old, damaged, missing front wheel bike?

Old bike had its front wheel stolen. Old bike also has a lot of rust damage on the chain and the back tire doesn't pump up. If it was in good shape, I could probably donate or sell but it's not.

I live in a decent area apartment complex. I can't just leave it curbside.
posted by Aranquis to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (12 answers total)

Got a community bike co-op near you? They can generally use parts of all sorts and accept donations if there's space available.
posted by asperity at 11:38 AM on July 10 [9 favorites]

Old bike also has a lot of rust damage on the chain and the back tire doesn't pump up

These are things that are very easy fixes for a donation recipient -- by all means, donate it to some org like Bikes Not Bombs.
posted by Dashy at 11:39 AM on July 10 [5 favorites]

Plenty of cities have places where you can donate your bike and they will repair it and give it to a good home. To be honest, a missing front wheel, rusty chain, and flat rear tire aren't that bad. Chains are $15, patching an innertube is about $1 and 5 minutes of effort, and co-ops are likely going to have spare front wheels lying around that will match.
posted by kdar at 11:41 AM on July 10

In my city, I can take it to the dump and an organization will pick it up and use it for parts or fix it.
posted by The corpse in the library at 11:45 AM on July 10

If it were mine I would lean it on the tree in my front yard and tape a "FREE" sign on it. It would be gone in 20 minutes.
posted by ThatCanadianGirl at 11:50 AM on July 10 [1 favorite]

How did I not read your last sentence?
posted by ThatCanadianGirl at 11:51 AM on July 10

If you can't find a bike co-op or similar that will take it, try your local Freecycle/Trash Nothing/Buy Nothing or the "Free" section of Craigslist. Rusty chain and flat tire is no problem at all, and the missing front wheel is replaceable.
posted by mskyle at 12:09 PM on July 10 [2 favorites]

Nthing your local Buy Nothing/Freecycle group. Someone will jump at this.

However, I'd also be honest about the condition, and attach a pic if possible, so people know what they're getting into.
posted by spinifex23 at 12:16 PM on July 10 [1 favorite]

Working Bikes in the Chicago area would probably take it. Assuming you're elsewhere, you could ask them if they know anyone local to you.
posted by chimpsonfilm at 12:31 PM on July 10

If you just put it at the curb, 99% chance it's going for scrap. If you'd rather have it actually be fixed up and reused, just google "[your city] bicycle donation" and a bunch of places should come up.
posted by Slinga at 1:34 PM on July 10

I would try listing it on freegle or freecycle to see if someone wants it
posted by JonB at 2:02 PM on July 10

Guess I'm kinda trashy, but if your area is dense enough to have apartment buildings and get front wheels stolen, it's dense enough to walk the bike half a block and disappear it from someone else's curbside.
posted by aspersioncast at 11:18 AM on July 11

« Older Help me fix my life and marriage.   |   Bright Office Lights Newer »