Name of zone around bomb during diffusal
January 13, 2017 9:26 AM   Subscribe

I am trying to remember a term for a specific zone designated around a bomb during its diffusal. Something about only certain people being able to pass through, or exchange places during the disposal operation. The term may apply to the rules followed in that zone, rather than the zone itself.

I may have got some of the details wrong, but the term designates a transition area. Something about the way that site is regulated and the procedures of disposal are carried out that ensures the safety and authority/hierarchy of the teams undertaking the task (usually during war).

For bonus points, I heard this term because it was the title of an exhibition in London some years ago. Wish I could recall the term, or the exhibition.

posted by 0bvious to Writing & Language (13 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I've heard "exclusion zone" frequently and "clear zone" in the literature. Also "protective actions" are used to describe all kinds of actions taken to keep members of the public and staff safe during an emergency event.
posted by answergrape at 9:38 AM on January 13, 2017

"Blast zone" is the phrase that comes to mind.
posted by ocherdraco at 9:38 AM on January 13, 2017 [2 favorites]

I was used to hearing "cordon" on the news growing up. Not sure if that's the one you're thinking of.
posted by billiebee at 9:39 AM on January 13, 2017

Response by poster: Hmm..... its more complicated than 'exclusion zone' and now I am beginning to realise it is probably more related to the rules I mentioned
posted by 0bvious at 9:43 AM on January 13, 2017

Blast radius?
posted by atomicstone at 9:46 AM on January 13, 2017

Minimum safe distance?
posted by EndsOfInvention at 9:51 AM on January 13, 2017

These aren't the phrase you're looking for, but just in case they help as search terms to get you nearer -

EOD - Explosive Ordinance Disposal
UXO - Unexploded Ordinance

(I lived for a few years in a place with many minefields and the EOD guys were regulars in the community, did school presentations etc, but alas I don't remember any of the more detailed terms).
posted by penguin pie at 10:25 AM on January 13, 2017

Render safe procedures?
posted by I-baLL at 11:26 AM on January 13, 2017

Danger Close?
posted by sparklemotion at 11:32 AM on January 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

I think you mean "defusing" - there is not a term "diffusal" in this context.
posted by I_Love_Bananas at 12:14 PM on January 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

penguin pie's terms are good, but you want ordnance.
posted by fiercecupcake at 1:31 PM on January 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

Police cordon? To cordon off means to prevent access to or from an area, UXO or crime scene.
posted by mountainblue at 2:28 PM on January 13, 2017

There would be an Incident Command Post (ICP), outer perimeter and an inner perimeter. Maybe stand-off distance.
posted by ericales at 10:29 PM on January 13, 2017

« Older What else have you made up?   |   Best city for a single middle-aged gay man Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.