And you thought this SAT vocab section would never come up again...

I'm trying to pay my girlfriend a compliment, and need to know a word, so I'm crowdsourcing my vocabulary to you good people of Metafilter, in the form of an SAT vocab analogy question.

Clothing:Sartorial as Hairstyle:?

Above is the most important, but the gist of what I want to get across, albeit more gracefully, is: "your hairstyle and cothing choices are stylistically unified/seamless/effortless." The more grandiloquent, the better.
posted by Captain l'escalier to Writing & Language (14 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Coiffure
posted by katie at 7:13 AM on May 6, 2016

Sartorial means "relating to clothing." So, are looking for a word that means "relating to hair," or are you looking for a word that means "unified/seamless/effortless"?
posted by amro at 7:14 AM on May 6, 2016

Strictly-speaking, the direct analogy is probably tonsorial.
posted by uncleozzy at 7:15 AM on May 6, 2016 [8 favorites]

"Coiffure" is the fanciest hairstyle word I can think of, but I'm not convinced it has an adjective form. "Coiffurial" would be an amusing coinage. I believe "tonsorial" also applies but I think of it as being specifically related to men's hairstyles, I'm not sure if I'm right on that one.
posted by babelfish at 7:16 AM on May 6, 2016

Babe, you're a classy dame.
posted by JimN2TAW at 7:18 AM on May 6, 2016 [6 favorites]

So, are looking for a word that means "relating to hair," or are you looking for a word that means "unified/seamless/effortless"?

Both. I want to use "Sartorially" and "Coiffurially"(?) in the context of telling her that the styles (or in this case the color) of each are unified stylistically, in such a way as to seem seamless. (Related question: what's a good word describing a room or house withdrawn less-seeming stylistic unity; the furniture, color choices, etc. all complement each other.)
posted by Captain l'escalier at 7:27 AM on May 6, 2016

(Related question: what's a good word describing a room or house withdrawn less-seeming stylistic unity; the furniture, color choices, etc. all complement each other.)

"Understated."
posted by yesster at 7:31 AM on May 6, 2016

I'm pretty sure the design principle you're looking for is either "Unity" or "Harmony." And yes, "Tonsorially" is the hair related equivalent of "Sartorially."
posted by The Underpants Monster at 7:47 AM on May 6, 2016

Sprezzatura? Usually used in the context of men's style to describe elegance achieved through artful nonchalance.

Also be careful using new words if you aren't 100% sure of their meaning. It can make you sound photosynthesis.
posted by kitkatcathy at 7:52 AM on May 6, 2016 [13 favorites]

It can make you sound photosynthesis.

That's why I took it to the green.
posted by Captain l'escalier at 7:55 AM on May 6, 2016 [17 favorites]

"You display unerring good taste."
posted by Wretch729 at 8:53 AM on May 6, 2016 [1 favorite]

I don't know that you have to stay strictly dress related. How about "symphony"? You, my dear, are a symphony [all your parts relate to each other and present in a unified fashion].
posted by MovableBookLady at 11:26 AM on May 6, 2016

Insouciance.

Attire::insouciance as tresses::nonchalance
Essence::beauty as soul::nuance
posted by djinn dandy at 11:39 AM on May 6, 2016 [2 favorites]

You could do a play on dressed/tressed
posted by warriorqueen at 8:08 PM on May 6, 2016 [1 favorite]

« Older Did Johnny Utah really say this?   |   Help us find a place to live in Evanston, Illinois... Newer »