Find me more characters like Dimity Carmody

In the Man Kzin wars books there's a recurring protagonist called Dimity Carmody. Whilst technically human it's emphasised that she's somewhat inhuman psychologically to the point she's almost regarded as an alien. I liked the character and would like to read more fiction with similar characters - what's out there?
posted by curious_yellow to Writing & Language (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There are a couple of such characters in Peter Watts' Blindsight, and arguably in Rifters, too.
Several of R. Scott Bakker's books also feature such characters (notably the Prince of Nothing/Aspect Emperor books).
posted by Jakey at 5:26 AM on February 28, 2014

A very close candidate would be any of Asimov's novels that feature R. Daneel Olivaw, who is technically a robot but very, very close to human.
posted by jquinby at 5:49 AM on February 28, 2014

Gibson loves characters like this, with 3Jane-Marie and Armitage in Neuromancer and Hubertus Bigend in the Pattern Recognition trilogy.
posted by Slap*Happy at 5:57 AM on February 28, 2014

Micheal in Stranger in a Strange Land is a human raised by alien Martians.
posted by Mitheral at 8:36 AM on February 28, 2014

In The Risen Empire by Scott Westerfeld, there are several characters like this, but the most alien yet the one that the reader develops the most sympathy for is h_rd, a machine-augmented woman from an AI-worshipping race called the Rix. h_rd turns up about half-way through the book and her story continues in The Killing of Worlds. Both books are on the short side for novels, they read as and would have been better published as one book rather than two.
posted by jamaro at 9:46 AM on February 28, 2014

I'd say that quite a few characters from the Dune universe--Paul Muad'Dib, Alia Atreides, Leto II--fit this trope.
posted by gone2croatan at 10:05 AM on February 28, 2014

Can vouch for Blindsight and The Risen Empire.

Many of the human characters in Charlie Stross's Glasshouse are different in ways that are hard to describe but very interesting.

I didn't enjoy this one as much, but Thirteen by Richard Morgan is told from the perspective of a human genetically engineered to be kind of sociopathic.

And this is the first of two short stories about a very recognizably human protagonist which I think might still meet your demands. It's a good story, anyway, and not a long read.
posted by d. z. wang at 8:02 PM on February 28, 2014

« Older Making lifestyle changes when too anxious and...   |   Help me construct a levee between the Shower Zone... Newer »