Outlook -- removing or hiding text when displaying emails

We have been required to attach a lengthy signature to all of our outgoing emails signatures must be attached to replies as well. This is very frustrating when trying to read through an email thread because there is a 18 line signature block in between the content of each email. Assume I can't modify the email signature policy is there any type of scripting available in Outlook that would allow me to search for a string in an email I am viewing and hide it? I could do something like this with Grease Monkey in web outlook but I prefer to use the desktop client.
posted by jmsta to Technology (1 answer total)

Yes, Outlook (like Word, Excel, Access, etc.) has a Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) built-in. It's basically Visual Basic 6 light. Press Alt+F11 in Outlook to access the development environment.

I did a quick search and couldn't find an obvious existing solution for this but it doesn't sound too difficult. The Outlook object model is well documented and you can probably copy and paste from existing code snippets to get what you want.

When you're using Google to search for VBA snippets, advice, etc. make sure to explicitly exclude VB6, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access (using the - operator) because Google thinks it's being clever and these all have slightly different object models that add confusion.
posted by ddd at 2:04 AM on January 8, 2014

« Older What are hidden benefits to applying for a patent?   |   Gluten allergies must be made up Newer »